roosterchef

Strange Behaviors Today

Question

I'm guessing this is all related to the 3.0 release, but we have had a bunch of weirdness today that we aren't used to seeing.

These are just the major ones:

1. We had 2 or 3 tickets tonight where credit card payments, although successfully authorized, somehow didn't wind up closing the ticket, with the ticket total still showing as the amount owed.  We had to force close these tickets, but the end of day report is showing payment shortage, which isn't true.
  2. Also related to credit cards, there were several other tickets that when we swiped the card, we got the error message "duplicate transaction, card declined".  No payment was applied to the ticket.  Yet we had customers showing us, in real time on their phones, these charges hitting their accounts.  So it appears that somehow, on a single swipe, the back end was double submitting the transaction to the processing gateway.  The first would work, the second returned the error and it was the second decline message that was returned to the client app.  For these we closed with "other payment method" and again the end of day report is hosed.
  3. During lunch, we had a couple dozen tickets that, in the reports, don't show up as being in the lunch meal period.  They don't go into dinner either, they aren't in any time period.  The time stamps look OK on them.  They just, for some reason, don't fall into the proper meal period bucket.
  4. One server who was working the bar (lots of tabs) reported that at times when she went to call up a tab to add a drink or run a ticket, she wouldn't see her tabs.  Other times, she would not only see her tabs but all the open tabs from all servers.
  5. Running a report on closed orders from yesterday, the report doesn't sort properly on ticket totals.  The report is doing an ASCII sort and not a numerical sort.  So for instance, if there are three tickets of $10.00, $11.00, and $105.00, the report sorts them as $10.00, $105.00, and $11.00.  The same thing happens when sorting any of the number columns including ticket number.

Most of these problems showed up at dinner because we had a real busy dinner, but funky stuff was happening at lunch as well.

Although Lavu reports that this release had lots of extensive beta testing, it appears at first glance that there are definitely still lots of rough edges.

I hope there are some real quick updates.  We've been using Lavu for 3 1/2 years now and I'd hate to go back to the old days of buggy software.

-Jim

9 answers to this question

We've had similar issues that you have had as well Roosterchef.

- Had the issue with a successful credit card authorization but kept the order open. It also gave us a payment shortage at the end of the day as well. 

- The ASCII sort is a real pain. We usually input tips on the back end sorting by order number. With the way it sorts now it's impossible to get them to line up in a way that's simple. We have to individually search for each order number and then input the tip amount. On a night where we have several hundred tickets this isn't efficient at all. It sorts by time alright, but the issue there is that on the credit card slip it shows the time closed, and on the backend it shows the time opened.

I agree there are A LOT of issues going on with this update. While I love the speed, it seems there are a lot of loose holes to take care of. I'm switching back to LAVU Retro which I'm not happy about. We run a high volume bar and the slowness of the old LAVU kills us. 

Hoping for a resolution on these items sooner than later. 

Edited by manthedan

happen to me too!

-order got a successful credit card payment, but still keep order open and server can not close the order. Manager try to close order but show error message. Manager have to shut down app and open app again and order will be closed!

- 2-3 order that server sent to kitchen and no error message at all. but kitchen did not get ticket.

i'm still running old version not 3.0. I will never download newest version from LAVU util it 2-3 months past by!

Update:

1. sort order on reports seems to be fixed.
  2. the orders not being meal period stamped is still a bug.  Last night, one of our servers (but only one) had 19 of her 21 orders not be called "dinner" even though the time stamps show them as such.  Her last two orders were properly stamped.
  3. still having issues with how credit card payments are handled.
  4. did not hear again about the tabs problem, maybe fixed, I can't yet say.

-Jim

Hello Jim,

In regards to your original concerns, this is what I heard back from our QA team.

1. In advanced location settings try changing the "Seconds between Dining Room view auto refresh:" to 10.

2. I believe this may have been resolved, please let us know if you are still seeing this issue.

3. Can you please email support@poslavu.com "ATTN: Tiffany" with Order IDs of the orders that are not showing in the correct meal period. We are unable to duplicate this issue, so having a few examples would be greatly appreciated.

4. We were not able to reproduce this issue. Was the server using more than one device? Table Side  and Terminal or two different Terminals? Anymore info you can provide would be helpful.

5. Is this on the new reports or old reports?

Thanks,

Rafael

RafaelT:

1. OK, did that and we'll see.  I'm skeptical because the transaction flow on a checkout with cc payment goes from card swipe - prompt - print - close ticket and exit server (matter of couple seconds or less).  Hard to see how dining room view refresh is involved there.
  2. Have not yet heard the floor managers discussion of last night.  I'll update later.  Might be fixed.
  3. Emailed those this morning.
  4. Tableside, single device, iPad mini, iOS 8.3
  5. Old reports, and it has been fixed.

Thanks.

We are still seeing the duplicate transaction message occasionally as of this morning. Have to "fix" in back end and as original poster says, basically hoses end of day report. So don't think this particular issue is fixed.

We have been having an issue with orders on tables being split into 2 separate bills and we are unable to merge them. Sometime the drinks are seperated from the main meals and sometimes the entrees are seperated from the mains. The only fix we can find so far is just manually adding the orders together and then voiding the other one. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

This has cost us a bit so far. Last night a waitress didn't pick it up and so around $60 in entrees wasn't added to the bill. There were also a few orders where the drinks weren't added to the bill. At the end of the night we just find open tickets that weren't paid :( ​ . Not great.

Any suggestions on a fix?

Thanks.

Edited by steveanderson

I posted an update about our situation on the concurrent topic that is running on this board called "Lavu 3.0 Problems"  - https://talk.lavu.com/ipad-pos-topic/lavu-30-problems-2226/

There were more posts there already listing the precise problems we have also been having, but in summary, we are still experiencing all of the above (minus the sort issue) as well as discovering some new tangles.  This still has a ways to go before it is sorted out I'm afraid.

-Jim

Hey Everyone,

Lavu 3.0.1 should address a bunch of these issues. We expect this to be released soon.

If you would like to try 3.0.1 now please email test@poslavu.com and sign up as a beta tester. Please also make sure the dining room auto refresh is set at 10 seconds.

To keep things a bit more organized I am going to go ahead and close this topic. If you are still seeing any issues with 3.0.1 please feel free to start a new one.

Thanks,

Rafael