locomotion

Reservations Manager

17 posts in this topic

Would it be possible to build in a reservations manager and have it alert us when a reservation is coming up soon (say half hour)

Also have a website widget so that we can accept bookings online?

Oh, that is a really interesting idea. I think it would be really cool to have a feature that integrates with the app and lets you know when you have guests coming in. Thank you for your feedback! Everyone who would like to see this feature, please vote for it at the top of the page.

There are multiple app available for the iPads. OpenTable - Resbooks........

We use ResBooks from Urbanspoon which alerts us as soon as a reservation comes in. Great for Hostess stand as wel.

MDPauwels

Project Manager

POSLAVU SoCal

Eur2LLC@gmail.com

Thanks for the info, Eur2! I love Urbanspoon, I rate all the restaurants I love on there. I moved recently, so it's really helpful to find great places in your neighborhood, and it's also super useful for travelling.

Hi Locomotion,

Thank you for posting on our forums. I have submitted a feature request in the past for this, but it is good to have it on our forums. If other users would like to see this option, please vote above. The developers are frequently looking at the Community, and searching for ways to improve our software. We take user input and suggestions very seriously, and I'm happy that the Community is a way for users to let us know what they're thinking.

David Miles

Lavu

Opentable and Urbanspoon doesn't seem to be an option for us here in Australia. Sometimes I feel like we are a third world country

We had OpenTable and we are happily waiting for our contract to expire. OpenTable is great for some locations, but not others. 

The problem with OpenTable is that they want to manage your entire facility. Meaning that each person that comes in must be assigned to a table so that the system knows how many tables are open and how many are not. 

This is probably fine for "Olive Garden" style restaurants or other Bistro locations. However, they have a custom Windows PC with touch screen that you MUST use. Basically OpenTable is not an Open platform and in order to USE their system you must use THEIR Windows 7 computer at your front door that has been customized with their software on it. 

However, I am sure there are other options that would work. The SeatMe app mentioned by locomotion looks pretty nice, although I am sure Lavu would prefer to have an internal module. I am sure some Lavu customers lock the iPad into the Lavu App, so I think it would be hard if the solution involved leaving the Lavu app to work with it. 

My vote is to start off simple. How cool would this be? 

Under the "Lavu" menu a button for "Reservations" that has three options...

1) View reservations

2) Lookup reservation

3) Create reservation

If "View" reservation is selected, a grid that simply shows the current week and all reservations (think of iCal's or Google Calendar Week View). Tapping on a reservation would open up the details to make changes. 

If "Lookup" reservation is selected, a text prompt to enter either phone number, email, or name is used to search for a reservation

If "Create" reservation is selected then a simple form that asks for 

1) start date & Time (with optional end date and time)

2) name of reservation

3) Phone number of contact

4) email of contact

5) # of people in party

6) Notes/Comments box

This would allow Lavu to start building a customer management system as they can store this information, which means that the next time they are adding a reservation, if they type in an email address, an auto-complete feature with name/email matching can pop up that the user can tap on to auto-fill those items on the form. 

Furthermore it's very simple. We are not trying to get overly complicated, just have a way to track reservations for dates and times. 

From the dining room screen (or tab view screen) they can add a button that acts similar to the "checkout" button in that it slides in from the right the list of reservations that are for that day only. 

You can even have a "print reservation ticket" option that prints a small receipt with the reservation information on it that the person can use when they return. 

Eventually....

From a basic system like this, I can see Lavu being able to add deposits to reservations where you can charge a card or take pre-payment for a reservation. I can then see the option to "open tab from reservation" or "seat at table from reservation" so that the pre-payment amount shows up and is credited towards their stay. 

I can then see a future enhancement where Lavu can let you specify reservation groups (meaning groups of 1-5 people, groups of 6-12 people, groups of 12-20 people) and then set the maximum number of reservations per day or per hour or per shift...etc... that can be made for each group. That can then eventually be extended onto the LavuToGo website where customers could reserve online, and bring their reservation number in with them to get their seat. With LavuToGo, if you require a deposit, it can be paid at that time. 

I can also see beyond that the ability to assign tables, rooms, etc... to a reservation when it is booked, so that you can see what's available and what isn't. 

The bottom line...

We don't necessarily need to integrate with someone (although I am not saying it's a bad idea to). I am just saying that I think to start, a vast number of Lavu users would be happy with just a simple way to track reservations within the app. We don't need a bunch of frills. We can ad don frills later :)

Always with the good build on ideas Eckenroed. I am still using the good ol' fashioned diary for now, it doesn't come with any whiz-bang features but it sure doesn't cost the earth. I have still been investigating other options but none of them seem to be able to suit our type of restaurant. Also a lot of these apps cost the earth, come with huge contracts and want to take control of your entire business. But like you said, we just need something simple that we can easily use, preferably in Lavu that can do basic reservations. Customer management would be nice, but not essential, as at the end of the day a good host or matre de will do well to remember the favourites and names of their loyal customers.

We use Rezbook on an Ipad and also have a version of Open Table that does not include their full set up. Open Table reservations are emailed to us and I actually enter them on the Rezbook app. I also add to the Rezbook app any phone and walk in guests. Recently, it was announced that Open Table has purchased Rezbook....so, it will be interesting to see how this is going to translate to us.

Rezbook is the best. Been using for 2 years now and very happy. I have a widget on my website and Facebook page. It can become expensive if people use the urbanspoon app since they charge you 2 dollars per guest, but my customers never use that si I end up getting 4-8 customers a month using it and I just pay very little a month.

Tecsol,

Does that app let you share your data between multiple iPads? One of the major reasons we don't use OpenTable is that we have to go to a single position in the bar to interact and look up reservations. If this app used iCloud or other means for sharing the data so that we can open it and enter/lookup on any iPad, that would be awesome. 

If nothing else, I agree that it's a great template for Lavu to start with. (aside from my own that is :)

I'd love a reservations feature to be added at some point it would be really useful. Adding to eckenroed great suggestions, I think it would be great it there was a way to colour code the table layout so if a table was reserved for that day you could quickly see that and then have a simple way to look at the time of the reservation. It would mean assigning a table to the customers at the time of taking the reservation which would work for our situation. On busy nights all our tables are often  reserved but if walkins come and we have time to squeeze them in we do so and as a result it can get very messy in reservations book and mixups do occur. To be able to see at a glance which tables are booked and for what time would be really helpful. Even if a table had 2 sittings booked to have a different colour so everyone was aware of this and be able to quickly see what time the 2nd reservation was for would be great. We also get people coming for dinner requesting to be out by a certain time as they are going to see a show or a movie, some way of entering that info for wait staff to see where they are up to....perhaps like a 86 countdown on the time for that table.