Little Crane

Pre-loading Gift Cards

3 posts in this topic

We have just recently moved from paper certificates to gift cards and the transition has been smooth. The one thing I failed to think about when I ordered my cards was to purchase some pre-loaded from Mercury to use for donations, etc. My question is this. Has anyone a suggestion on how to issue a card that is not being paid for upfront? For example, I wish to issue a $10 to be donated to particular fund raiser. Would you set up a specific discount to be used for this purpose and basically comp the entire $10 or would you ring a pay out in that amount from the drawer? I know someone has dealt with this at least once and eager to hear how they do it. Thanks!

Hi Little Crane,

I would create a discount type and call it Donations or something to that effect. 

Once you have processed your gift card, discount the bill to $0.

That way when you want to report on how many gift cards you have given to charity over the year you will be able to report on that discount type.

Hope this helps

Marc

Thank you, 
I tinkered with it the day after I posted and discovered exactly what you mentioned would work. A appreciate your response.
A