lucys.eastside

manage tips

17 posts in this topic

I just been playing around with the manage tip screen and i really think when you pull up that screen it shows you the information of the transaction but doesn't say how the tab or table was settled. IE mc, visa, cash. i believe it will say if it was paid cash but the question still remains if a server goes in at the end of the shift and enters all the tips that were left on a visa master card or debit transaction will pos lavu subtract that off the cash owing total for their shift??

Hello Lucy'seastside,

Thank you for posting on our forums. The end of day reports do have the tips for servers. If it is a cash tip, then the money owed should be adjusted by that. If the tip was left on a card, then it will still show up as a tip, but wouldn't reflect on the cash owing total.

David Miles

Lavu

but that is backwards here is why...

as the owner all i want to get in cash is the amount of the bill example the bill is $5 so the cash owing is $5 if they were paid $8 the 3 dollars would be tip and they would just keep that.

BUT if it was paid with a credit card the same way then it should be cashed out for the $5 dollars owing and $3 to tip as a credit/debit so i as an owner don't keep that $3 dollars the server does.

If you were able to cash the bill out for $8 and the restaurant is owed the $5 then the $3 should be subtracted off the servers total cash owing at the end of their shift.

Here is why... all the $ rang through the credit cards or debit cards go directly into our account as a business. if it calculated it this way where the credit card tip or debit tip was subtracted off the cash due at the end of the shift then the server will have their tips for the day and saves our accounting having to give that back as a due back a few days later. Having to do it a few days later after the cash is deposited opens up more room for errors and when it comes to the servers tips the less we handle it the better.

Does that make sense to you? I hope i explained it well enough.

Also when i tested the server tip manage screen i just did a test settled two tables out one to visa one to mc. when i go to the server tip screen it shows the two transactions with a total and due is 0 cause it was cashed to the card but doesn't say what card it was cashed with (visa/mc/debit) then it only gives me an option to leave a cash tip even though 2 colums over it has a category saying card tip now is that because i have my visa mc debit set up under other and i didn't use the "card" button?

If you were able to cash the bill out for $8 and the restaurant is owed the $5 then the $3 should be subtracted off the servers total cash owing at the end of their shift.

Hello Lucyseastside,

I understand what you are saying. I know that the end of days throw a lot of numbers at management for the end of a shift :)

What I've asked for is a comprehensive, printable report on the frontend. This would take into account the money that the server would need to give back, like a paid in/out register report specifically for the server, and a comprehensive total for the tips owed. I want this to be printable on the frontend, so servers can print the report, and hand it to the manager or shift supervisor. I think this would make managing users of POS Lavu less stressed at the end of a shift.

David Miles

Lavu

yes it would be nice if it worked like the cash settlement worked currently if the bill is 5 and we used the 10 dollar button it gives you the balance to give back in change. if you could do that for any of the card payments but instead of it saying change due it said confirm $5 tip charged? and then in the back end any tip amount charged was automatically subtracted from cash due at the end of their shift.

just testing out a bit more....

currently with the "card button " which would lump in all the cards if i pay with that option then go to server tips screen it shows i paid with a "card" gives me an option for tip under card tip.

Now does that option minus that tip amount from cash due?

Now does that option minus that tip amount from cash due?

Hello, Lucy's. That tip would not reflect with the cash due. This is for a generic card transaction, for users who use a third party terminal. So the tip that would be a "Card tip," would go into the credit processor's end through the terminal, not POS Lavu.

David Miles

Lavu

ok I'm just trying to understand how people who use these buttons and a cc processing that is not integrated then print their end of shift reports and have them balance?

Because technically regardless of if the cc type is separate or not how it gets in putted into lavu regardless if lavu is integrated and does the processing or not, when you print the end shift report on lavu it should match the numbers entered in the cc processing terminal or software no??

i guess if you just used the option card them went in and entered the tip when you print the end shift details it would total the card transactions including tip and that number would match a non integrated end shift report as long as you add all the cc types together.

correct??

haha sorry just trying to wrap my head around it.

Because technically regardless of if the cc type is separate or not how it gets in putted into lavu regardless if lavu is integrated and does the processing or not, when you print the end shift report on lavu it should match the numbers entered in the cc processing terminal or software no??

Lucy's,

Exactly. The end of day would just have the generic information. If you are integrated directly through Lavu, then the end of day {all User} report would have things like the last four digits of the card, auth codes, ref numbers, etc.

And don't be sorry. We want you to have all the information available :)

David Miles

Lavu

Just to join the conversation.

We run a very big bar...8 cash registers, 15+ bartenders and 20+ servers on staff (not at the same time). They are all paid the $2.13 per hour wage and earn strictly tips. So we use the tip on cards functions a lot.

So far, it has not caused us grief. But part of that is because I created a simple spreadsheet to help us account for everything. Here is how our process flow works.

At the beginning of each shift, we give our servers a "bank" of $50 in various bills to start with.

When the shift is over, the server fills out a "bank sheet" which essentially is a very simple form.

screenshot20121129at333.png

We round all of our tips to the nearest dollar for simplicity. (Trust me, it balances out). This form lets them know how much cash they owe us at the end of their shift.

We then have a spreadsheet we put this all into for all of our employees so that we can double check the total cash deposit in our safe and insure everything reconciles.

I am not sure what everyone else things about accounting for cash, but this little report has made our lives so easy. What we like most is that it tracks payouts that a server may do from time to time. (Also, a rounded tip option in the back end to round card tips to the nearest increment would be nice as well).

Eckenroed,

Thank you very much for posting this. Your blank sheet looks great, and would definitely help with cashing out servers at the end of their shift. I am currently asking for this to be done on the frontend. I took a screen shot of your sheet, and I'm going to take it to the higher ups. It's good to have something concrete, so I can show them what we're specifically asking for. Thank you for your constant presence. It is really appreciated :)

David Miles

Lavu

haha. Thanks david. Also, you do realize the bank sheet is a picture, you can just save it to your computer. You don't have to take a picture of the picture :)

Haha great point! Copies of copies are never as good :)

David Miles

Lavu

when will the front end reporting be available for the servers to print a report that shows cash owed?

The server report which you can print already shows the cash the servers took in as well as their tips. It would be nice if it was shown but all you need to do is cash sales - tips and you have your number.

I think "cash owed" can be subjective depending upon the client. 

For example, one might calculate cash owed by simply saying

Cash Sales

While another business may say

Cash Sales - Credit Card tips 

While another business may say 

Cash Sales - Rounded Credit Card Tips

While yet another business (such as ours) may say

Amount of Cash given to server to start shift (aka "Bank") + Cash Sales - Rounded Card tips.

So to daprice89 may want the first report, while I want the last. So I think the best way to do it is ti calculate it yourself, it's really just simple arithmetic.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing an option in the back end to "round credit card tips to nearest" and then be able to select "nickle, dime, quarter, half dollar, whole dollar". Many bars do not use change (other than quarters) in their cash operations.  

I am not able to see the screen shot.  Is it possible to repost or send to me?