mww101

Lavu 3.0 problems

Question

I'm really disappointed with Lavu 3.0 so far, I have also just tried to call in about it and given up after waiting forever to speak to an advisor. I am guessing there are a lot of unhappy customers right now on the phone . . .

We have lost an unknown amount of revenue as several items from many different checks simply dissappeared. Our batteries are all dying halfway through service, normally they can last 3 full days without charging. Many of our orders are not closing at checkout. Many of our payments are not matching up after the orders are closed. Our end of day report is all over the place, none of the sales figures match what they should be. 

Lavu 3.0 is most definitly not ready for public release and I cannot understand how these bugs have not been picked up before now. 

We have done all the usual things to try and resolve the issues, deleting apps, reset network settings, logging out of lavu etc . . .  

I would appreciate a swift response to these problems. 

Michael White 

15 answers to this question

Hey Michael,

We have been experiencing high call volume answering questions about Lavu 3. The best way to get help right now so you are not stuck waiting on the phone would be to email support@poslavu.com with all your issues nicely documented, you can either request that they work with you via the ticket or that they give you a call back. This also allows the support agent to look into these issues and be more informed before giving you that call back.

The problems you are describing are not something that most customers are experiencing. I would urge you to submit a support ticket so that we can dig into them.

If you would prefer not to use Lavu 3 at this time, we have Lavu Retro available in the app store. Lavu Retro is essentially version 2.3.13, the version we released before Lavu 3. If you go this route please make sure to close out all orders in Lavu 3 and ensure that Lavu Retro is being used on all iPads, we do not recommend mixing the two version.

Thanks,

Rafael

Thanks for getting back to me Rafael.

I have already submitted a ticket with all the required info for support to look into it. Maybe other users are not getting these issues but we are for sure, I have provided order numbers for the advisors to look into and you can take a look at our end of day reports to see that our figures don’t match up.

As I have spoken to you already about, over the last few months we have been experiencing many issues with 2.3.13 as well therefore I don’t particularly want to do that either.

you are not the only one!!!!  

1) half tickets, as in ticket only printing dine in then stoping ( kitchen only).

2) payments from credit cards processing but not showing up on tab.

3) tabs that are paid for closed then reopen by its self. payments are still there but not all items are on ticket. so i have an over payment. easy fix as long as server remembers what they had.

4) bar tickets printing twice.

5) items just disappearing off tickets

6) the biggest one is after a server did her checkout one of her cash payments tabs she had disappeared. so checkout i got said $59 in cash sales then when i am doing numbers at end of night it tells me she only sold $42 in cash sales.  where did that go? 

anyways, just wanted to let you know your not alone in lavu land. i just went back to old lavu ( not ideal as well but at least i know i won't lose revenue )and called it a day till they fix lavu 3. 

aloha, 

mark

Definitely not the only one.

We've been experiencing similar issues. Our main one seems to be that we end the night with more cash in the till than the system reports we should have of absurd amounts - ranging from $50 to $200 dollars, depending on the day. While it doesn't happen every day, until the Lavu 3.0 update we'd never had this problem. In addition, we also had a ghost in the system telling us in the FOH Daily Totals tab that we had an unpaid amount in our closed tickets. None of our closed or open tickets added up to this amount, and it varied each day.

We'd contacted Lavu support via phone, and they recommended that we switch over the Lavu Retro and see if that solves the issues. Since doing so, I haven't received another report about unsolved unpaid amounts, but we're still having an issue with ending the day with more cash in the till than Lavu says we should have. Yesterday it was over $50 more.

Hopefully Lavu can sort these things out quickly!

Best,

Sean

I've had similar issues pertaining to cash sales at the end of the day. This only applies to version 1 reports. What I've noticed is that on Version 2 reports however the cash sales are correct. There seems to be a lot of discrpencies that arise between version 1 and version 2 reports.  We're still heavily dependent on Version 1 reports for credit card entering and closing, but it seems like they were neglected in the 3.0 update. 

I've had similar issues pertaining to cash sales at the end of the day. This only applies to version 1 reports. What I've noticed is that on Version 2 reports however the cash sales are correct. There seems to be a lot of discrpencies that arise between version 1 and version 2 reports.  We're still heavily dependent on Version 1 reports for credit card entering and closing, but it seems like they were neglected in the 3.0 update. 

​I didn't think to check this. We're also seeing this discrepency between version 1 and version 2 reports on cash sales - but cash sales are incorrect on both reports, for us, and we're using Lavu Retro.

We're still having issues with our reported end of day cash sales with what is actually in our till - today we again had more in the till than the report said we should. I hope Lavu gets these bugs fixed quickly - we need accurate reports for closing, and it's been this way since the switchover!

We too are having many of the exact same behaviors described above:

1. Items (like a glass of wine) disappearing from checks
  2. Checks not closing upon payment even though balance due is zero (getting this quite a bit)
  3. CC payments indicating declined but the payment actually does go through
  4. Closed tabs and table tickets suddenly re-opening, one re-opened two days after it was closed
  5. The mysterious disappearing or re-appearing tickets is causing problems with server checkout.
  6. Ticket modifications made at a register terminal (like splitting up the ticket across multiple checks) are then not showing up when the ticket is re-opened tableside (yes it was saved).
  7. Speaking of check splitting, we're getting checks that were split being recombined onto one check after being saved and later re-opened.
  8. And still on check splitting, servers are telling me that the 3.0 check splitting demo that is available from Lavu simply doesn't work as it is demo'd in that video (it's on YouTube and a support site I think).  So you can imagine how much #7 above pisses them off if they struggled with getting the split correct in the first place.

And here's the one that is really driving my servers crazy:  it takes the iPads tableside forever to sync up and display available versus busy tables so the server can start a new ticket.  For instance, server walks up to newly sat Table 42.  Opens up Lavu and waits well over a minute for the dining room layout to come up with tables.  Then frequently Lavu indicates Table 42 still has an open ticket, so the server has to start a tab instead.  Of course, since Tabs don't have guest counts, this is totally hosing our guest count totals tracking.

On the plus side, Lavu support has been communicating with me (email) almost daily.  Unfortunately, none of these problems are reproducible on demand.  They happen inconsistently.  We've started keeping a problem ticket log during service and will be sending them more ticket numbers tomorrow or Monday.

Also on the plus side, we are NOT seeing the cash count discrepancies between version 1 and 2 end of day reports that others are seeing. As long as you remember that version 2 reports are all "Closed On" reports it seems to agree.  Of course, we ARE having the problems where server summary reports are wrong, but that is related not to reported rather the problem with re-opening or not-closing tickets.  

It seems to me that almost all of this relates to problems in syncing transaction data between the client side app and the servers.  Lavu touts one of the big enhancements in 3.0 is a faster & more seamless experience for servers in terms of this syncing between local data and server data.  If you think about it, inconsistent data syncing would explain many of the problems above.

RafaelT, you are waging a brave battle here to try and keep us all happy, but I think 3.0 is really still very buggy.  And being what amounts to a beta test site, where we have to document all problems in detail so Lavu can track down and squash these bugs is enormously inconvenient when you are trying to handle a busy full house where seconds matter when it comes to your POS system.  I'm expecting that we will make the call to regress back here very shortly.  The prior version was actually quite stable for us.

-Jim

I post this in another thread last night;

We have been having an issue with orders on tables being split into 2 separate bills and we are unable to merge them. Sometime the drinks are separated from the main meals and sometimes the entrees are separated from the mains. The only fix we can find so far is just manually adding the orders together and then voiding the other one. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

This has cost us a bit so far. Last night a waitress didn't pick it up and so around $60 in entrees wasn't added to the bill. There were also a few orders where the drinks weren't added to the bill. At the end of the night we just find open tickets that weren't paid :( ​ . Not great.

Any suggestions on a fix?

This seems to be happening when orders are taken across multiple devices and so instead of just syncing like they used to, it is creating a separate bill for each device that is used rather than merging them. There seems to be no way of merging the info. We have had instances of some of these tickets just disappearing also.

I made a descriptive error in my prior post.  The tableside delay is not waiting for the dining room with table layout to display in the app, but rather it is waiting for the tables to update to their correct status.  In other words the dining room with tables comes up in the app right away after the server enters his/her pin, but it takes up to a minute or more for that display to update with the correct status (open or occupied) of the various tables.

Sorry for the inaccurate description.

-Jim

We've had multiple items drop off tabs as well. I think the 10 second refresh may not be frequent enough. If someone accesses the tab before the 10 second refresh, anything added by the previous server/cashier gets lost. 

Is there a timetable where any of these issues will be addressed?

Tip entering has been such a hassle this past week with the Old V1 reports sorting by time and not order-id

We were advised to raise our dining room refresh value from 10 seconds to 60 seconds, even though that seemed counter-intuitive.  Problems seemed to increase (no objective measure) so we put it back to 10 seconds after a couple days.

That said, we have seen ticket data sync problems occur when subsequent openings of the ticket on a different device were well past even the 60 second limit.  We have seen tickets re-open two days later, just because, it seems, they were stuck as "open" on one of the devices the ticket had originally been on.  When that server used that iPad again (they grab different ones each shift), the ticket appeared to magically re-open 2 days later.

So I don't think the user-settable sync time value has an impact here.  Something else, but still related to data syncing between client and cloud, is broken.

-Jim

As I've dug deeper into the tickets with problems at our site, almost all of the mysterious behavior involves modifying a ticket on one device (doesn't matter what - adding items, splitting the ticket, closing the ticket), and then opening the ticket on another device.  If this second device had an earlier version of that ticket, then frequently the earlier, but now outdated, version of the ticket is uploaded to the server and it stomps on the later correct version, reverting back to a prior version.  MantheDan hit the nail on the head I think.

Given the slow delay in getting ticket state updates from the cloud to the client app whenever someone pins in (e.g. the delay in seeing the dining room view update), this would make sense.  If a server pins in and then quickly opens a ticket before update comes down from the cloud, then the re-opened local ticket becomes the "newest" official version because it will be time-stamped later than the correct version sitting on the server.

For instance, we had a group of 25 the other night, sitting in our small group room.  The server took their orders on her tableside iPad.  After saving and exiting, a guest changed something on their order.  While getting drinks, the server pulled the order up on the register iPad next to the drink station and made the correction.  Later, she was asked to split the ticket into two as two different people were paying, and to put the bottles of wine on a third ticket because that would be payed differently also.  She did this on her tableside iPad.  When it was time to pay, she pulled the group ticket(s) up on the register iPad to print the tickets, and both the split and the wine were gone.  So the changes she made in the third edit of the ticket were eliminated by the second version that still remained on the register iPad's local cache.

A bunch of the other problems we have had seem to fall into this exact same pattern.  With the exception of the problem of tickets not closing upon payment, but maybe this is also related, I don't know.

Anyone else besides us and MantheDan seeing their problems fit this pattern?

-Jim

Hi roosterchef,

I've been trying to replicate these conditions, modifying an order multiple times and switching between terminal and tableside each modification. I haven't noticed the issues you describe. That said, when we began having issues, we immediately switched to Lavu Retro, so we're currently working off of that. We also have a 10 second Dining room auto refresh set.

I'll test the 60 sec. refresh rate later today and see if that causes similar issues to the ones you've been experiencing.

- Sean

Hey Everyone,

Lavu 3.0.1 should address a bunch of these issues. We expect this to be released soon.

If you would like to try 3.0.1 now please email test@poslavu.com and sign up as a beta tester. Please also make sure the dining room auto refresh is set at 10 seconds.

To keep things a bit more organized I am going to go ahead and close this topic. If you are still seeing any issues with 3.0.1 please feel free to start a new one.

Thanks,

Rafael