PatrickJunk

Is there a maximum database size?

Question

We will want to host our DB locally on a Mac Mini and have it synch with your cloud service. But our DB has over 1000 wines with descriptions and pictures. Is there a maximum size that can be handled by the program?  We are possibly looking at a 25GB+ DB.

6 answers to this question

Hello,

There should not be any issues with the Local Server handling a database of that size.

Where you may run into issues is the Lavu POS App not handling that many items with info and pictures. We do not have a set number of items allowed since the way the menu is setup (forced modifiers, number of images, etc) greatly determines how many items can be handled by the system. Many customers do have hundreds of items and have no problems.

Please keep in mind that Lavu POS is geared towards restaurant menu items. While many of our customers do use our system for small retail operations, it sounds like with that many items you may be happier with a more retail geared solution.

Thanks,

Rafael

Hello,

We had problems with a large DB with 600+ items, most of them with images

The problems were on the App, we needed to upgrade to Mini Retina & Air to handle this account, with the "old" Minis and iPad 2, the App crashes.

Just out of curiosity why would you want to host it yourself locally?

We were told by our POSLavu rep that it would speed up the significant time we're spending with getting the DB set up in the cloud. Of course, we want the cloud for backup anyway, so fine Bst if having the local Mini server will allow us to have the DB we currently need AND it works faster, then it's better for us that way.  It's just that we're hearing conflicting reports that Lavu can or cannot handle DBs of this size. And since we're already quite invested in this project (switching from Aloha), the manager is getting rather angry at the situation. Because of the wine menu at this restaurant, database size was the FIRST question our sommelier asked. We were assured it wasn't a problem.  But 500 of the 1200 wines into it...it seems to be a problem.

We are confused, to say the least. 

If you would like to give me a call I can answer some of these questions and offer assistance with local support.

Sincerely-

John Sims

icarepos

832-696-2318 direct

800-605-9085

Thank you for the offer, John. I am out of the country, and other techs from my company are on this with our current Lavu rep. However, I am passing on your information to them, in case they need a second opinion. Thank you.