zinque

Inventory

50 posts in this topic

Unfortunately the inventory module right now is pretty useless, as it does not provide real-time information, or allows us to compare our real physical inventory with our sales.

In this business, where there is so much waste and theft, it is very important to be able to manage our inventory and see what is missing.

Those are the features that should be included, and should be pretty straight-forward to implement:

1- Being able to enter a new order when we receive it, and have it added automatically to the inventory. Inventories should be done by date. For example,we create a first inventory on 01/01, then when we receive an order on 01/02, it is automatically added to the inventory from 01/02. And sales between 01/01 and 01/02 are deducted. That will give us what our real-time inventory should be on 01/02. We can then do a physical inventory by counting our items (this inventory would then become the inventory for 01/02). And see if there is any difference.

This is VERY important in order for us to run a profitable business, and see when and where we are losing items.

- Being able to enter re-order levels so that we know when we need to re-order something. There could even be an alert system telling us "only 5 bags of sugar left in inventory, you should re-order". Ideally, we could just create an order sheet per vendor and email it directly from the backend.

- Being able to export the inventory at anytime, not just the "inventory report" as it is the case now. So that we can use in quickbooks, etc.

- Being able to create a "waste" inventory. Ideally, when there is something wasted (Like a glass of wine poured by mistake), the server would enter it in the ipad in a "waste"module, with the reason why it was wasted. Then, once the manager approves it, it would just be deducted automatically from inventory. And a waste inventory would be created for that date, in order to keep track.

I am sure there are many more features that would make sense and would make this app more efficient. For example we could use the scanners that we already have on the ipods to enter inventory. But the features above are really necessary.

I agree that this would be awesome. I don't use the current inventory system because it just does not do much. I would definitely use it though if it was set up like this.

Hi Zinque,

I'll definitely get your post over to our feature request system. I know that the development team is trying to beef up the inventory system. A couple points you made were about tracking the inventory vs the sales for a day. This would be nice so management can see if there were any red flags with the sales and items sold.

One thing I'v been talking about is tracking liquor. We've all worked at bars, or coffee shops, and we know that it is hard to track how much inventory goes into drinks. Things like over pouring, or comping a shot to a friend, make it hard to track what is, and should, be used.

Thank you,

David Miles

Lavu

Agreed, David. We use barkeep for our liquor inventory. It is extremelly well designed, and would be a good idea for lavu to use it as some kind of model. The issue is that it is not integrated with lavu and we can't use it to compare with actual sales.

Thanks Zinque. My boss actually mentioned barkeep. I went to their website and it seemed pretty legit. I'll talk with him about directly integrating that with Lavu.

David Miles

Lavu

Integrating would be nice as a start but it would be great to have those kind of functionalities directly in Poslavu, as barkeep is only for liquor, and it would be better to have it for both food and liquor.

Hi Zinque,

You're right. I adjusted the feature request I sent in earlier. I'm not sure how long it would take to get this directly into POSLavu, but development knows that users have been asking for it.

Thank you,

David Miles

I would second Zinque/Rafael's comments above... I'm currently trialing POSLavu and spent quite a while looking around the front end app looking for where I could input a delivery as it came in - I was very surprised to find that it wasn't there.

This is absolutely key for a POS system. It most likely won't stop me proceeding with POSLavu at this point but it's something that I'd need to see in the future.

In addition to the backend features Zinque mentions above, I'd say you need 2 screens within the 'Management' menu of the front end:

1) A screen to enter deliveries - this would just pop up a list of all the items listed in the inventory back end (or split out by supplier/category, either way could work), with a number field next to each item to input how many grams/oz/bottles/cases have been delivered.

2) A stock take screen also in the front end, to perform weekly (or how ever frequently a bar/restaurant wants to do them) stock take where again, you see a list of the inventory items - similar to what Zinque says above to then generate a wasteage report, but rather than using the back-end for it I'd like to see it in the front end, that way one of my staff (with adequate permissions) could use one of the iPads to perform a weekly stock check at the site. This stock take would then override the current inventory and pop out a report (say via email/receipt printer) of the weekly wasteage.

I would also say that it would be nice to see (though this is a minor detail really), an option to add 'container quantity' to the inventory system - so that when a delivery is received, or during stock takes, the staff can simply input the number of containers received since you're always going to get beers in crates of 24, coke bottles in crates of 24, rice in 500g bags, etc. In the back end you would need a 'container size' field. It would just mean that staff could input "1" for the number of crates of coke received, "12" for the number of bags of rice, etc. rather than having to input 6000g for the rice and 24 bottles for the coke.

Hi nbrewood,

Thank you for your post. Your input is greatly appreciated, and I will submit a request now. A prompt for delivery would be a great addition to the frontend. Maybe having to enable it in the backend's settings, then having it pop up after all inventory is counted? Also, carrying a device like an iPad to take inventory would be really easy. Also, beefing up the inventory system to take crates of things would really help with the production of whoever's entering into the system.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, guys. Our software is always being improved, and getting specifics from users is very helpful. Keep them coming!

David Miles

Lavu

I also would second Zinque/Rafael's/Nick comments above...

In my restaurant and no one of my customers are using the current inventory system because it are like a toy inventory. I could say that it work properly, it is discounting the recipes of the inventories quantities. But in the restaurant we need more tan that!!!!

We need tools like:

·

Being able to enter "waste" in the inventory as a real waste category or reason. I t will be great to have a button or category waste button at the Back End in order to enter the waste of all the sections of the restaurant as the warehouse, the kitchen, the bar, the dinning room.

· Is important to have a screen to enter deliveries, this would just pop up a list of all the items listed in the inventory back end when we receive it, and have it added automatically to the inventory. Inventories should be done by date. That will give us what our real-time inventory should be on specific date. So we can we can then do a physical And see if there is any difference and see when and where we are losing items.

· Being able to split the LAVU inventories as we have our real warehouse..By supplier/category, etc. And have next to the unit measure a field to input how many grams/oz/bottles/cases have been delivered.

· Being able to enter not only recipes also sub-recipes

· It will be great to set manually the maximum and minimum quantities of each item of the inventories to being able to enter re-order levels so that we know when we need to re-order something.

· Being able to export the inventory at anytime, not just the "inventory report

I like the way that you all the LAVU guys are working. I know that you are working in order to provide to your customers (us) simpler, and more efficient POS.

Most of the tools in the Front End are great, because simplifies the activities in in the restaurant during the service. But I think you must take care of some crucial task that are performed every day in the back door of a restaurant (in the warehouse )…. Like purchase material raw…. Then enter it in to the inventories; And make a list of what material raw that has to be purchased by the ware house guys (etc) ….. This are tools absolutely key for a POS system.

The objective of develop this tools is to simplify the activities that I mentioned before, because are key activities in the restaurant… It will be great to have this tools!!

I’m not trying to say you that you should develop inventory tools like Micros or Aloha or other POS systems. I think and I trust in you LAVU, that you could develop and built much better and more efficient tools that will help the owners to do all the warehouse and inventories activities as a piece of cake, and not as we perform right now with the actual inventories of LAVU, because becomes a head ache and a nightmare trying to enter the inventories items every day and trying to track the real inventories of previous days.

I think that all your customers need to see it in the future.

Could not agree more with Arturo. The inventory module is really useless the way it is, and it is the major shortcoming of Poslavu versus other POS systems.

It should be the number one priority to improve this program.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your posts. The inventory system does a lot of things - simple inventory, item tracking, etc. - but you're right, there is room for improvement and a lot more options we can do with it. We are looking at the best ways to improve it. We want to give our users the best options, and the best solutions. This is something our staff is working on. We've had a lot of users wanting us to beef it up, and we will give our users more options.

The great thing about POS Lavu is that we are always moving forward, and always improving our already great software. Thank you all for your support now. We listen to you, and we want to give you the best product on the market.

David Miles

Lavu

As discussed in this post, inventory management is critical to any successful operator. Fido Solutions, or www.runfido.com, fully integrates with POSLavu and provides a web-based inventory module that helps control food and bar costs. Fido’s features include:

- Full theoretical food and bar costs integrated with POSLavu menu mix

- Food and bar costs as a % of sales

- Theoretical vs actual usage down to the ingredient level

- Centralized recipes and sub-recipe management

- Site specific inventory templates

- Export inventory data in many formats to third parties

- Auto import invoices/deliveries from major vendors

- Invoices screen to enter invoices/deliveries with vendor templates

- Enter waste items for depletion / Auto deplete items such as fry oil, etc.

- Purchase order module

Fido fully integrates with POSLavu through the Lavu API. Data is retrieved every hour from the API and posted to the Fido web servers. This allows for theoretical food cost by menu mix (as requested above), enterprise level sales reporting, labor cost reporting (payrates are associated with employee id's in Fido), and an online scheduler that is accessible by both managers and hourly employees just to name a few.

Brian,

Maybe you can tell us a little bit more about Fido. I know a lot of us here would be interested in this, especially as inventory and scheduling are not possible with Poslavu. But what you posted so far does not give us any information.

Can you post examples of reports? How is the data transferred from Poslavu to FIdo? Does it happen on the server's level, or directly from the ipad on the cloud? How do we access that information for reports? Can we look at the web interface or mobile app?

How much does it cost?

Thanks

Fido is web-based so users log onto www.runfido.com to view reports, post schedules, key inventory, etc. Fido has processes that automatically retrieve sales and labor data from the POSLavu servers every hour and post it to the Fido servers for inclusion in the COGS, scheduling, and advanced reporting modules. Fido was designed by restaurant owners / operators for the sole purpose of saving time and money. The links below should provide the screen shots, report samples, and pricing information as requested.

www.runfido.com/brochure.pdf

www.runfido.com/pricing-roi

Okay I am just going to jump in w/out readin the ENTIRE covno. I agree with the first post.

I just wanted to point out that the camera's could be used here. Either by creating QR codes for items so we can scan them, or by using their existing bar codes. Either way, combining a barkeep style system with POSLavu would be simply irresistible. (in the words of Mr. Robert Palmer).

I was thinking that what would be great( in addition to the possibility to enter deliveries on the front end) would be to be able to generate orders as well.

So when we are looking at our inventory and something is low we could just "check it", and at the bottom of the page it would generate an email that we could send to our food and liquor vendors.

Ideally, when we enter an item in inventory we would be able to enter the email address of the food vendor, and then it would generate the order automatically. We could even enter the minimum quantities for each item at which level we need to re-order.

Not sure if I should put this here or start a new "feature request", but though it would be amazing if it was connected to real-time inventory levels.

Please remember to vote for the "inventory" feature if you would like it to get improved ;-) 

I like what your thinking zinque, however I think that might be hard because each vendor might require a specific format for their order. For example, in Utah, all liquor is sold by the State, so we must log into their site and create orders. We can not email it. 

If nothing else thought along that great idea, it would be nice to create a list of vendors (similar to how denominations are done now in the advanced settings), and then when setting up the inventory, we can choose our vendor. Then when it comes time to re-order, the report can be emailed to whichever email we want and it groups everything by vendor. AND, if the inventory system also said "what is the minimum qty to re-order, and what is the target qty after a fresh order" it would even give us the number (in whatever measurement units we are using on that item) we need to order. 

Makes sense. We email all of our orders to vendors, so it is not an issue for us, but understand it might be. 

In any case, it would be great even to just be able to automatically print (or email to manager as you suggest) what needs to be ordered depending on minimum quantities. Then everyone can place the order as they wish ;-)

Would be so efficient. Especially for wine/beer/liquor.

We are currently testing runfido. Brian helped us setting it up. The functionalities look very interesting, and it syncs with Poslavu. 

I will report once we have played with it for a week or so.

That's great zinque. It would be great to let everyone know how it's working for you!

Will do. Right now we are entering all vendors and ingredients information. The system is very slow, but hopefully once everything is entered it will not be an issue.

I really like the fact that you can enter deliveries, create purchase orders, invoices, enter waste inventory, etc. Pretty much everything that was discussed in this thread. I will keep sending updates as we go.