web

Help for a New Customer

Question

We only use one device in our operation, a a small bar.  I'm new to the operation which is also new to LAVU.  We've been on LAVU for about 5 months and I've been there a couple weeks.  I'm trying to learn as much as I can quickly so bear with me.

I have found about 40 or so "open orders" going back all 5 months.  There are some that have no payment associated so I guess that's obvious why they are open but...  What allows them to come off of the screen, assuming they are "quick sales" if they aren't paid?  

I also have a bunch that are paid in cash in the correct amount but still show as open orders.  How does that happen?  

...if I simply void them all, chalk it up to training issues, and simply work and investigate future unexplained open orders;  will I cause any credit card action by voiding ones with credit cards?  and .... if I void the orders does that put the ingredients back in inventory?

Thanks to anyone who can clue in the new guy.

6 answers to this question

Hey Web,

Sometimes users reopen orders, the best thing to do is to go into the orders, go to Checkout, Go to the Lavu Menu and select Close Order.

I generally do this once a week to make sure that the records all line up.

I wouldn't recommend voiding them.

Hope this helps

Marc

I'll try that when we get a slow period, thanks for the suggestion!

Mike

Hi Web,

There should never be left open orders at the end of the night. Unless you are a place who takes orders and delivers them the next day kind of thing. quick serve is for orders you close right then and now, you put in the order take payment and close. if you do not close the tab right away and you end up existing that screen the server needs to then go to open orders and choose the option my open orders and click the order they need and close and close it out properly. 

If there is no payment on the orders I would hope your staff is re-ringing the order then taking payment, if not thats how theft happens.

As for re-opening orders the only person that should have access to do that should be the mgr on duty. once an order is paid for and closed it should stay closed. the only reason it should be reopened is if a server messed up and took wrong payment or was the wrong tab etc. once again this is to prevent the possibility of theft

This go's back 5 months? your books have to be jacked up. 

This is what I do at the end of every night so i don't have any issues. I go to end of day ( old version ), I click the day I am on then scroll to the bottom of the screen and click users then select all users. This then brings me to a screen that shows all transactions, I scroll that screen to the bottom looking for any red numbers. if I find one there is an issue with that tab that should be fixed before the end of the night. if i don't see any I select submit capture all credit cards at the bottom of the screen. I count my deposit for the day and call it a night. 

I hope this is some help for you. 

Thanks all..mrkmorin one of the issues with the re-opening of a tab is that there is no "manager on duty" most nights.  It's that small of a place.  The POS system was actually put into place to help combat theft.  It helped us ferret out a problem employee who we have let go.  I watch the open orders very carefully to look for trends but as of now it looks arbitrary and is not nearly as common.

It did happen once last night again though, server A opens a tab for a regular customer.  Customer has a couple cocktails that all end up on the tab and settles up.  server A accidently puts cash instead of card on the ring out process and the check closes.  She re-opens the check zeroes out the payment (wasn't there so I don't know how she did this)  and then settles it again with the credit card, this time it stays open.  The receipt shows a $14 total, paid with a card and an amount due of $0.  

My question is, should this have closed when settled or now, since it was a re-opened check, does it always have to be closed manually?  Our batch runs at a certain time on it's own.  I checked and that charge is in the batch.

Web,

Yes, once the tab was reopened and the old payment was taken off and new payment zeroed it out you have to manually click re-close check button.

To take a payment off of a check you reopen the check and highlight the amount that was paid. It will then ask if you want to void the payment. 

On 2/5/2016, 5:02:16, mrkmorin said:

Web,

Yes, once the tab was reopened and the old payment was taken off and new payment zeroed it out you have to manually click re-close check button.

To take a payment off of a check you reopen the check and highlight the amount that was paid. It will then ask if you want to void the payment. 

Thanks mrkmorin, I did eventually locate this function.  It has been quite a learning curve, thanks for the help.