13EVEN

Full Service Liquor

Question

Hello All ~

We are currently using POS Lavu for one location that only serves beer and wine. 

We are opening a new restaurant that will have full liquor and will be using POS Lavu.

Are there any owners out there that can give me insight, good, bad, shortcuts, what to avoid and what to do to easily set up the complexity of liquor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nancy

13|EVEN ~ Good Juju Served Here

Thirteen ~ New American Cuisine

7 answers to this question

Hello,

Sorry for the delay! New Year's and all. Anyways, here are some descriptions for how I handled a very large wine menu. The location is a high-end steak house with a separate bar/lounge.

Menu Groups:

Food

Wine

Cocktail (includes beer)

Drinks (non-alcoholic)

Under wine, I had the following menu categories:

Champagne & Sparkling

White

Pinot Noir

Merlot

Cabernet Sauvignon

Misc. Reds

Dessert Wines

Wines by the Glass

Under Cocktail, I had the following menu categories:

Tapas (For food that is specifically sold at the bar/lounge)

Signature Drinks (Specially-named house drinks)

Bottled Beers

Draft Beer

The menu is very large for wine specifically so it required being split into this many categories to keep it easy to organize and manage. Each wine category had at least 15 wines and the "Cabernet Sauvignon" and "Misc. Reds" categories had 25+ wines each.

This location has no "shots" or such, but to add this, I would create categories under "Cocktail" for Vodka, Tequila, etc. These categories would contain all the types of alcohols that can be used. Then use modifiers for shot, double shot, drink addition. This will work for small-medium sized full liquor establishments.

How many different liquors are you planning on carrying?

We have learned many things about lavu and the bar setup in the system. What we have done may not be the best but it works for us.

You may find like we did that using optional and forced modifiers will be your best bet for some situations. Take a martini for starters. In order to get the upcharge for a premium liquor we use forced modifiers. So if the bartender enters martini they have to choose the alcohol that was used. Skyy is our rail so there is no upcharge for the rail but if Goose or another premium is used the upcharge is added to the base cost of the Martini by the addition of the forced modifier selection. This allows you to capture the revenue that would be lost otherwise by just selling a Martini without having to have multiple basic Martini's on your selection screen.

Doubles are another issue that we have had to figure out a solution for. For doubles we work those with a button labeled Double with a base price that fits our lowest drink cost and do a forced modifier for each liquor that we sell as a double that modifies the cost of the drink to a double price and puts the name of the liquor on the check. 

I hope those descriptions make sense. We Track our liquor sales and food sales separately using supper groups so at audit time it is very easy to separate the different sales types. If you go this route just be sure to put your sodas and other non alcoholic items under food not under liquor so you sales do not get skewed towards alcohol unnecessarily.

I hope this help you think about how you want to set up your system.

Charlie

Happy Christmas Charlie ~

Thanks so much for this!  I completely understand how you are working it and we will probably follow suit (martini, uncharge for top shelf, etc).

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to answer

Cheers to you in the New Year!

Nancy

Nancy

Glad to help. If you (or anyone else) come up with any ideas that work better or just different that you like, please post them so we can consider other options.

Happy New Year to you.

C

From my personal experience with the app and helping locations, I would highly recommend using modifiers for minimizing the size of the menu. Using modifier groups will be the easiest to use, but will take some time to set up properly. Creating a menu item for every type of alcohol, and serving usually results in mis-taps and extended time searching for the correct item.

Something similar to this and expanded would be my recommendation:

Menu Groups: Beer, Wine, Cocktails

Menu Categories:

Beer

- Ales

- Lagers

- Etc.

Wine

- Red

- White

Alcohol

- Tequila

- Vodka

- Gin

- Etc.

Cocktails

- Screwdriver

- Vodka Tonic

- Etc.

Within those categories, you can break them down to menu items for each specific brand/bottle. Then, use modifiers for "shot" or "double shot" for the alcohol.

Use modifiers for brand of alcohol for cocktails. If you want to be very detailed, you can list all of the bottle options as modifiers and then any other additions, such as second alcohols, mixers, garnish, etc.

I created a modifier group that is a custom cocktail maker on my own demo account to test these kinds of things out. If you're interested, I can post the full modifier group and how I set it up, if you're curious.

Thanks ~ If you wouldn't mind sending screen shots, that would be great.  At least giving me a staring point. 

Our current location has wine & beer

So we did it like this:

Wine & Beer

~ Draft

~ Bottled Beer

~ Wine by the Glass

~ Wine by the Bottle 

We have beer and wine flights ~ which of course have modifiers to choose the ones that are included in the flight.  It has worked well for us considering we sell every wine by the glass (40+ selections).  

Again, anything you post or could share would always be appreciated!

Thanks for all the feedback. 

We are carrying a full bar ~ and are deciding on house/premium brands now. 

Needless to say, this page is now bookmarked! 

Thanks again

Nancy