roosterchef

Cash reconciliation problems

Question

Anyone else having a damn difficult time reconciling cash at the end of the day?  We've been using Lavu for 3 years now, and for a long time we didn't have this problem.  Lately (last few months) we are over some days, short some days.  We've been counting and recounting, checking everything twice, and can't find any mistakes.  So I'm beginning to think it must be something wonky with Lavu.

Our situation:  we operate as a server bank restaurant, meaning servers carry their own bank, and we take cash from them at the end of their shift.  We also pay them for credit card tips at the end of their shift.  We first make sure they have no open tickets remaining, then use lavu.com reports to tell us how much the server owes us, and how much we owe them for tips.  Paid outs are entered properly, we record all these cash flows manually on a log sheet, all money changing hands is counted twice, and after all servers are done we count the drawer.  And balancing has become the exception not the rule.  Some days over, some days short.  So we go back and check all the numbers, server totals against paid out and in, starting cash count, etc. etc.  It all checks out, no errors, but still we are off.

I'm suspecting some type of data corruption.  When we tried version 3, we had all kinds of ticket corruption issues, lost tickets, etc.  We backed down to Lavu Retro and it has been better since, until more recently.  We still get occasional duplicate tickets, but those aren't hard to find and adjust for.

Anybody else finding cash mysteriously appearing and disappearing?

1 answer to this question

I am finding this out as well and we have noticed the problems are with the auto gratuity on cash. Basically you end up over paying the server twice on the cash gratuity. I bet if you look and check the money you are short will be the gratuity. I am still waiting on lavu to call me back.