roosterchef

Anyone using iPods?

Question

Did a search but couldn't find a reference.  Anyone trying to use an iPod Touch for servers?  Or is it totally impractical with the tiny screen even if it is technically supported?

Thanks in advance.

-Jim

12 answers to this question

We use them for everything from taking orders at the table to checking people out using credit cards at the table. They work well, at least for our restaurant.

About 50 to 60 items and a ton of modifiers. I set up a restaurant with a lot more modifiers and menu items then us though and they use them as well.

Hi Roosterchef, 

Thank you for posting on our forums. I know a lot of users who use iPod touches for their locations. It's great having such a mobile device available, and able to take orders. It is a smaller screen, and users would need to be careful when checking people out that they don't accidentally push the wrong button. You could also move towards getting your users iPad minis, which is a little bigger than the iPod touches. 

David Miles 

lavu 

What does the iPad Mini count from a license point of view?  As an iPod, or an iPad.

-Jim

Hello Jim, 

Thank you for posting on our forums. The iPad mini's could be counted as either a mobile device or a terminal. So users can take advantage of it being a mobile device, and not have it count against their terminal count. 

David Miles 
Lavu 

I'm curious.  We've been signed up for a while but are just getting around to implementing as part of our expansion and remodel.  Is there a functional difference between what one can do on a device registered as "mobile" versus "terminal"?

-Jim

Yes,

A terminal can print some reports, discount individual items on a check, void individual items from a check, allow people to clock in and out.

A terminal is fully features and runs the iPad software.

A mobile device and do almost everything that is needed with the exception of the above.

Hi Guys, 

Roosterchef, thank you for your posts. If you ever wanted to run through all the devices, and how the function with POS Lavu, don't hesitate to contact our support team. And, of course, you can message me directly through the community. 

David Miles 
Lavu 

Hello Jim, 

Thank you for posting on our forums. The iPad mini's could be counted as either a mobile device or a terminal. So users can take advantage of it being a mobile device, and not have it count against their terminal count. 

David Miles 

Lavu 

I have not been able to get this feature, though we have wanted it from the beginning.

I think the nuance of what "terminal" means is a big deal in this regard.  The iPod does everything we need but navigating the menus is cumbersome IMO and the screen is just too small.  So we'd like the same app with the space of a mini screen.  I believe I was told I could not do that, so glad to read it here, but a little suspicious/uncertain whether it's completely accurate.

Meanwhile the terminal app, installed on your second iPad, looks identical, works great, but can not perform a checkout. This provides every feature you could want except the "instant checkout at the table" by signing on the screen, which is great feature of the remote.

So, I THINK you have to decide between three options: (a) upgrade your license, (B) accept there's no checkout capability on the roomy iPad remote terminal, or © accept the full featured but cumbersome iPod remote handheld.  For us option (B) is a great answer. We found the handhelds really hard to use. I guess your mileage may vary, since some users (above) reported this worked great for them.

Hello Mark,

You can use the iPad in tableside mode. This will remove checkout functions, manager functions and clock in/out functions.

In order to use checkout, you will need to use an iPad in terminal mode.